Tour to Alexandria
Explore Alexandria, one of the great cities of the Greco-Roman Period, where Ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian culture merged to produce some of history’s most spectacular architecture.
Visit the remains of the ancient Alexandrian educational system in the archaeological site of Kom el-Dikka, and the 21st century Bibliotheca Alexandria which revives the spirit of the famous Library of Alexandria. See the remains of Roman Egypt in Pompey’s Pillar, and wander through the Medieval Citadel of Qa’it Bey, built by a doughty Mamluk Sultan.
Designed as a post-tour to Eternal Egypt, this tour can also be booked on its own.
This tour is part of the World Art Tours program organised by the Art Gallery Society of NSW in partnership with Renaissance Tours.
Arrive in Alexandria in the afternoon and enjoy lunch at the Greek Club.
After lunch, visit the Citadel of Qa’it Bey, a fort built on the spot once occupied by the wondrous Lighthouse of Alexandria. In the late 15th century AD, Mamluk Sultan Qa’it Bey erected the citadel to defend Egypt against the menacing Ottoman Turks.
Check in to the hotel and enjoy an evening at leisure.
In the morning, visit the Bibliotheca Alexandrina, a vast library inaugurated in 2002 as a celebration of the ancient Library of Alexandria and an attempt to revive the spirit of learning of its historic forebear. The complex contains four museums covering Antiquities, Manuscripts, the History of Science and the life of the slain president Anwar al-Sadat.
After a light lunch, visit Pompey’s Pillar, a Roman triumphal column carved from a single piece of red Aswan granite, the archaeological site of Kom el-Dikka, whose auditoria were once part of the Alexandrian educational system, and the catacombs of Kom el-Shoqafa.
Enjoy a special farewell dinner.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast.
If departing today, transfer from hotel to Alexandria Borg El Arab Airport (included in tour price). Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
09 November 2018
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Australian and New Zealand passport holders require a visa to visit Egypt, which may be obtained on arrival at a cost of approximately USD 30 per person (as at time of publication).
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 5 star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including local wine and beer with dinners
- Hotel/airport transfer on tour departure
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfer on arrival if not joining from main tour Eternal Egypt
- Hotel/airport transfer on departure if not departing on tour end date
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Visa for Egypt (obtainable on arrival)
Alexandria – Four Seasons Hotel at San Stefano *****
NB: A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted.