Tour to Shimla
with Claudia Hyles
Designed as a post-tour to Palaces, Pleasure-Domes and Gardens.
This tour is part of the World Art Tours program organised by the Art Gallery Society of NSW in partnership with Renaissance Tours.
Enjoy dinner tonight at the hotel.
In the morning, check out from the hotel and transfer to Delhi Domestic Airport for a flight to Chandigarh. On arrival in Chandigarh, transfer to the hotel.
After lunch, explore Chandigarh with a sightseeing tour. Chandigarh was the first planned city of modern India, and Swiss-French architect Charles-Édouard Jeanneret (Le Corbusier) delivered what has come to be regarded as one of the finest urban designs in the world. Visit the Le Corbusier Centre, established in the architect’s office in the city, and the extraordinary Chandigarh Museum, which, after Partition in 1947, inherited almost half of the collection of Gandharan sculptures and Rajasthani miniatures which had been housed in the Lahore Museum, on the other side of the India-Pakistan border.
In counterpoint to Le Corbusier’s grand, official designs also visit the Rock Garden, the creation of an untutored genius by the name of Nek Chand Saini. Chand created the garden from the waste materials he found while Chandigarh was under construction, including rocks, bangles, bottle tops, discarded sinks and bicycle frames.
Continue to the peaceful Sukhna Lake, which Le Corbusier set aside as an oasis of tranquillity for Chandigharis of future generations.
Check out from the hotel and transfer to Kalka railway station to board a chartered rail car to Shimla. The carriage, which resembles a motorbus from the 1940s, offers a charming way to ascend from the dusty plains of Kalka to the cool heights of Shimla. Enjoy lunch on board.
Arrive in Shimla and check in to the hotel, followed by an afternoon at leisure.
This morning, enjoy a sightseeing tour of Shimla, the glamorous summer capital of British India nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas, visiting the Mock Tudor Library, the Town Hall, the Vice-Regal Lodge, the Radio Station Building (exterior view), Christ Church and the Gaiety Theatre.
After lunch at a local restaurant, visit Bishop Cotton School, founded in 1859 by an enlightened graduate of Westminster School and the University of Cambridge (and former master at Rugby School) to provide a sound education to the rising generation in British India, and the Army Heritage Museum.
Dinner tonight is at Chapslee Estate, an early 19th century building which once housed the Secretariat of the British East India Company.
Spend a morning at leisure appreciating the charms of Shimla before lunch at the hotel. Check out from the hotel and descend by road to Kalka station for a train ride back to Delhi. Dinner is served aboard the train.
On arrival in Delhi, check in to the hotel.
Check out from the hotel in the early morning and transfer to Delhi International Airport. Tour arrangements conclude on arrival at the airport.
Suggested return flights to Australia or New Zealand on Singapore Airlines, arriving early in the morning of Saturday 03 November 2018.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
14 August 2018
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in 5 star hotels with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including drinks with dinners
- Comprehensive sightseeing and visits, including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Hotel/airport transfer on tour departure if travelling on suggested flights
- Economy Class flight from Delhi to Chandigarh (20 kg luggage allowance)
- Private chartered rail car from Kalka to Shimla (to be confirmed 2-3 weeks prior to tour; based on minimum of 11 people travelling)
- Shatabdi Express train from Kalka to Delhi
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfer on tour arrival/departure if not travelling on suggested flights
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
#Please note that the post-tour to Shimla requires 6 persons to proceed.
Delhi – Vivanta by Taj – Ambassador Hotel *****
Chandigarh – Taj Chandigarh (Superior Room) *****
Shimla – The Oberoi Cecil (Premier Room) *****
NB. Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted