Designed as a post-tour to Gardens of the Amalfi Coast, Sicily and Malta, this tour can be booked on its own.
To cap off your exploration of the Maltese Archipelago, spend two nights on the island of Gozo, Malta’s smaller, greener, more rustic cousin, which is home to some of the country’s most beautiful scenery and architecture. Said to be the home of the nymph Calypso in Homer’s Odyssey, Gozo has been enchanting travellers for at least 7,000 years and delights the heart with its slower pace, charming fishing villages, coastal scenery and centuries-old traditions.
After breakfast, drive to the port city of Ċirkewwa for a ferry ride to the picturesque island of Gozo. On arrival, proceed to Victoria, the capital of Gozo, with free time for lunch before a walking tour of the sights of the city. Built on one of the three hills of Gozo, Victoria is dominated by its honey-coloured Mediæval citadel. In the afternoon, check in to your hotel for dinner.
Enjoy a full-day tour of the highlights of Gozo. In the morning, travel to Dwejra Bay, where the Mediterranean creeps through a natural archway underneath great limestone cliffs and forms the gentle, teal-coloured lagoon known as the Inland Sea. Explore the megaliths of Ġgantija, a 5,000-year-old temple complex dedicated to a Stone Age fertility goddess and continue to Calypso’s Cave, where the nymph Calypso was said to have trapped Odysseus for seven years. (For safety reasons, it is not possible to enter the cave – but given what happened to Odysseus, it is just as well!) Enjoy lunch in the beguiling fishing village of Xlendi, set between the steep hills and the deep sea. Visit the Villa Rundle Gardens, a Mediterranean-style garden established around 1915 by the British Governor of Malta, before returning to your hotel for an evening at leisure.
After breakfast, check out from hotel and return to Malta island by ferry. Transfer to Valletta Airport arriving by 12:30, where tour arrangements conclude. Suggested departure for Australia or New Zealand on Emirates flights via Dubai departing from 15:30 onwards.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
02 March 2018
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in centrally located hotels with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L=Lunch, D=Dinner, R=Reception), including wines
- Comprehensive sightseeing, including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout in comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Transfers on arrival and departure
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, room service, etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours for assistance)
Gozo – Hotel Kempinski San Lawrenz*****
NB. Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted