Masterworks from MoMA in Melbourne
Enjoy an exclusive private viewing of some of the world’s greatest works of modern art direct from New York’s famed Museum of Modern Art, together with visits to the distinctive galleries of Melbourne’s Yarra Valley.
In an international exclusive, in 2018 the National Gallery of Victoria will display an unmissable collection of masterpieces from MoMA, including works by Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Marcel Duchamp, Salvador Dalí, Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Jeff Koons, Pablo Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh. Beat the crowds with a private, after-hours viewing of this amazing collection specially organised by Renaissance Tours.
Also spend a day at Heide Museum of Modern Art and TarraWarra Museum in the picturesque Yarra Valley, and visit Melbourne’s renowned Lyon Housemuseum.
Suggested arrival in Melbourne in the early afternoon. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements.
Make your way to the hotel and check in. In the evening, enjoy a performance by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra of Kodaly’s Dances of Galanta, Liszt’s Piano Concerto No 1 and Saint-Saëns’s Symphony No 3 Organ.
Enjoy a welcome breakfast with John and fellow travellers, and then travel up the Yarra Valley to the TarraWarra Museum of Art, one of Australia’s most significant private art collections open to the public. The museum was established by Eva and Marc Besen in 2000 as a way of sharing with the world the extensive collection of Modernist and contemporary artworks which they had been amassing since the 1950s, and its present site was opened in 2003.
Continue to Heide Museum of Modern Art for lunch, followed by a guided tour of the museum. Established in 1981 in a farmhouse dating back to the 1870s, Heide lies within 6.5 hectares of heritage gardens and a sculpture park, and exhibits works ranging from Expressionism to abstract and contemporary art. Explore the museum and grounds at your leisure before returning to Melbourne in the late afternoon.
The evening is at leisure.
In the morning, visit Lyon Housemuseum, a private museum created around the contemporary art collection of Corbett and Yueji Lyon and focusing on Australian art from the 1990s to the present. Lunch and the early afternoon are at leisure.
In the late afternoon, enjoy a talk by John on the masterworks you are about to see, and then proceed to the National Gallery of Victoria (International) for an exclusive private viewing in the evening, after the gallery is closed to the public. Stroll at leisure amongst the magnificent works of Modernist and contemporary art directly from New York’s Museum of Modern Art. With works encompassing paintings, prints, sculpture and photography, and artists including Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Marcel Duchamp, Salvador Dalí, Edward Hopper, Andy Warhol, Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Jeff Koons, Pablo Picasso and Vincent Van Gogh, this is sure to be one of the highlights of Melbourne’s cultural calendar for 2018 – and tonight our group will have it all to ourselves!
Afterward, enjoy a special farewell dinner with John and fellow travellers.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast.
For those departing Melbourne today, Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
19 June 2018
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 5 star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wines with dinner
- Exclusive private viewing of the Masterworks of MoMA collection at the National Gallery of Victoria
- Pre-viewing talk by your tour leader, John McDonald
- Premium ticket for one performance of the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (Saint-Saëns, Liszt and Kodaly)
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfers on tour arrival and departure
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Melbourne – The Langham, Melbourne *****
NB: A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted