Sydney Art and Culture Weekend
Experience some of the artistic and theatrical highlights of Sydney, with an exclusive private tour of the much-anticipated Masters of Modern Art from the Hermitage exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW and highlight performances in the Sydney Festival.
Featuring some of the seminal works of Impressionism, Modernism and Cubism by the likes of Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso and Paul Gaugin, the Masters of Modern Art from the Hermitage exhibition also includes stunning works by members of the Russian avant-garde, including Wassily Kandinsky and Kazimir Malevich.
Also visit the David Goldblatt exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art, an arresting retrospective of the works of the South African photographer who chronicled the rise and fall of Apartheid.
Enjoy world-class theatre and musical performances in the Sydney Festival, a cultural celebration of performing art s and big ideas (program to be announced late October 2018).
Arrive in Sydney and make your way to the hotel for check in. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements.
At 16:30 meet Gitte and fellow travellers and transfer to Carriageworks, a converted 19th century railway carriage workshop, for a musical performance. (2019 Sydney Festival program to be announced late October 2018.)
Return to the hotel in the late evening.
In the morning, visit the Museum of Contemporary Art, situated next to Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay. Enjoy a guided tour of the David Goldblatt exhibition, presenting works from South Africa’s most important 20th century photographer, whose pictures chronicle the human impact of Apartheid.
Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant, followed by some free time in the afternoon to explore the festival atmosphere in central Sydney.
In the evening, visit the Roslyn Packer Theatre for a theatrical performance in the Sydney Festival.
This morning, visit the Art Gallery of New South Wales for a special before-hours private viewing of the Masters of Modern Art from the Hermitage exhibition. This extraordinary collection of paintings includes some of the Hermitage Museum’s finest works of Modernist art, including paintings by Paul Cézanne, Henri Matisse, Pablo Picasso, Paul Gaugin, Wassily Kandinsky and Kazimir Malevich.
Then join Gitte and fellow travellers for an ‘art walk’ through the contemporary art galleries of Potts Point, the historic home of Sydney’s counter-culture movement since the mid-20th century.
After lunch and some time at leisure in the afternoon, walk to the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House for a concert performance by an innovative Australian musical ensemble as part of the Sydney Festival.
Enjoy a morning at leisure to take in the spectacle of Australia Day on Sydney Harbour, including the popular Ferrython, where Sydney’s varied fleet of classic and modern harbour and river ferries compete to be the first to make it from Circular Quay, around Shark Island and then back to cross the finish line under the Harbour Bridge.
Then cross the harbour, for a special farewell lunch with Gitte and fellow travellers in a historic restaurant overlooking the harbour.
In the evening, enjoy the best seats in the house for an avant-garde operatic performance, the culmination of your Sydney Festival experience.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast.
Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements, including any additional nights’ accommodation, either before or after the tour.
Final payment due
23 November 2018
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa to visit Australia.
Tour price includes
- Four nights’ accommodation in a centrally-located luxury 5-star hotel, with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner, R = Reception), including wine
- Exclusive private viewing of the Masters of Modern Art from the Hermitage collection at the Art Gallery of NSW
- Premium category tickets for four performances in the Sydney Festival
- Guided tour of the David Goldblatt photographic exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art
- Talks and discussions with your tour leader, Gitte Weise
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfers and arrival on departure
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (highly recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Sydney – The Four Seasons Hotel *****
NB. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted