Designed as a post-tour for From Homer to Caravaggio, this tour can be booked on its own.
Cap off your exploration of the Maltese Archipelago by spending two nights on the island of Gozo, Malta’s smaller, greener, more rustic cousin, which is home to some of the country’s most beautiful scenery and architecture. Said to be the home of the nymph Calypso in Homer’s Odyssey, Gozo has been enchanting travellers for at least 7,000 years and delights the heart with its slower pace, charming fishing villages, coastal scenery and centuries-old traditions.
After breakfast, drive from Valletta to the port city of Cirkewwa for a ferry ride to the picturesque island of Gozo. On arrival, proceed to Victoria, the capital of Gozo, with free time for lunch before a walking tour of the sights of the city. Built on one of the three hills of Gozo, Victoria is dominated by its honey-coloured Mediaeval citadel, and also boasts elegant Baroque churches in the form of the Cathedral of the Assumption and the Basilica of St George.
In the afternoon, check in to the hotel, followed by dinner in the evening.
Enjoy a full-day tour of the highlights of Gozo. In the morning, travel to Dwejra Bay, where the Mediterranean creeps through a natural archway underneath great limestone cliffs and forms the gentle, teal-coloured lagoon known as the Inland Sea. Explore the megaliths of Ggantija, a 5,000-year-old temple complex dedicated to a Stone Age fertility goddess and continue to Calypso’s Cave, where the nymph Calypso was said to have trapped Odysseus for seven years. (For safety reasons, it is not possible to enter the cave – but given what happened to Odysseus, it is just as well!)
Enjoy lunch in the beguiling fishing village of Xlendi, set between the steep hills and the deep sea. Visit the Villa Rundle Gardens, a Mediterranean-style garden established around 1915 by the British Governor of Malta, before returning to the hotel for an evening at leisure.
After breakfast, check out from the hotel and return to Malta island by ferry. Transfer to Valletta Airport, arriving by 12:30 (included in tour price).
Tour arrangements conclude on arrival at Valletta Airport. Suggested departure for Australia or New Zealand on Emirates flights via Larnaca and Dubai departing from 15:30 onwards. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements, including post-tour accommodation.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
12 February 2019
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 5 star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wines
- Transfer from central Valletta to Gozo on tour arrival if travelling on group transfer (including Malta–Gozo ferry)
- Hotel/airport transfer on tour departure if travelling on group transfer (including Gozo–Malta ferry)
- Comprehensive sightseeing, including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout in comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfers on arrival and departure if not travelling on group transfers
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, room service, etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours for assistance)
Gozo – Hotel Kempinski San Lawrenz *****
NB. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted