Monarchs, emperors and warriors
Venture to the heart of country Victoria to Bendigo, where the superb Bendigo Art Gallery hosts a seminal exhibition of British Royal portraits from London’s National Portrait Gallery, and enjoy a private, curator-led lecture on the exhibition.
Then visit the outstanding Heide Museum of Modern Art, boasting one of the most significant collections of Australian modern and contemporary art.
Finally, enjoy a private guided tour of the National Gallery of Victoria’s 2019 Melbourne Winter Masterpieces exhibition, presenting China’s mighty Terracotta Warriors, alongside new works by contemporary Chinese artist Cai Guo-Qiang.
This tour is part of the World Art Tours program organised by the Art Gallery Society of NSW in partnership with Renaissance Tours.
Arrive in Melbourne in the early afternoon and make your own way to the hotel. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements.
At 15:15 meet your tour leader Brian Ladd at the hotel and depart for a guided tour of Alexander Calder’s exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria, followed by a talk and special welcome dinner.
Today, travel through the picturesque Victorian countryside and visit the world-class Bendigo Art Gallery, one of the oldest and largest regional galleries in Australia. Attend a private curator-led lecture about the gallery’s special exhibition, Tudors to Windsors: British Royal Portraits, an outstanding collection from the National Portrait Gallery, London. Then, enjoy free time to explore this exhibition at your leisure.
After, enjoy a special lunch to appreciate the particular characteristics of the region’s fine wine and country cuisine.
Return to Melbourne in the mid-afternoon and enjoy an evening at leisure.
Following a morning talk by Brian, enjoy a guided tour of the Heide Museum of Modern Art. Established in 1981 in a farmhouse dating back to the 1870s, Heide lies within 6.5 hectares of heritage gardens and a sculpture park, and exhibits works ranging from Expressionism to abstract and contemporary art. Explore the museum and grounds at your leisure before returning to the hotel in the early afternoon.
In the late afternoon, walk to the National Gallery of Victoria (International) and enjoy a private guided tour of the 2019 Melbourne Winter Masterpieces exhibition. Stroll amongst the magnificent ancient Terracotta Warriors displaying eight warrior figures, two life-size horses from the Chinese Imperial Army and two half-size replica bronze chariots. Also, discover new works by one of the world’s most exciting contemporary artists, Cai Guo-Qiang, presented alongside the exhibition.
Afterwards, enjoy a farewell dinner with Brian and fellow travellers.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast.
Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
10 May 2019
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 5-star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wines with dinner
- Private lecture by curator at Tudors to Windsors exhibition at Bendigo Art Gallery
- Private guided tour of the Melbourne Winter Masterpieces 2019 exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria
- Pre-viewing talks by your tour leader, Brian Ladd
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfers on tour arrival and departure
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Airport porterage
- Travel insurance (highly recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Melbourne – The Langham, Melbourne *****
N.B. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted.