Savonlinna Opera Festival
Unescorted Package (FIT)
Opera lovers are invited to extend their Baltic experience with a four-day post-tour package to the Savonlinna Opera Festival in Finland.
Take advantage of the opportunity to enjoy performances of Verdi’s Rigoletto and Rossini’s The Barber of Seville, both of which will take place in the medieval Olavinlinna Castle.
Spend time wandering the quaint streets, admiring the wooden houses, shopping for local crafts and dining in traditional restaurants. Enjoy a steam boat cruise and a guided tour of the town.
Savonlinna is a town built on islands and nestled by beautiful Lake Saimaa.
Designed as a post-tour for Poland and the Baltics.
This tour is part of the World Art Tours program organised by the Art Gallery Society of NSW in partnership with Renaissance Tours.
Transfer in the mid-morning to Helsinki Central Station to board the train to Savonlinna (approx. 4 hours). On arrival in Savonlinna transfer to the hotel.
The remainder of the day is at leisure.
Meet in the hotel lobby this morning for a private guided tour of the medieval town.
Visit Olavinlinna Castle and enjoy a tour of the Provinz Museum which presents an overview of the history of the area.
The afternoon is free to explore at leisure.
In the evening transfer to Olavinlinna Castle for a performance of Verdi’s Rigoletto, conducted by Philippe Auguin and directed by David McVicar.
Meet the local guide in the lobby of the hotel and walk to Savonlinna harbour to board a traditional wooden steam boat for a cruise on Lake Saimaa. Delight in viewing the town from the water, as well as the pretty surrounding natural scenery.
This afternoon is at leisure.
This evening transfer to Olavinlinna Castle for a performance of Rossini’s operatic comedy, The Barber of Seville, with Russian born tenor Alexey Tatarintsev as Count Almaviva and Ville Rusanen as Figaro.
Transfer to Parikkala train station in the morning or afternoon (depending on individual international flights departing from Helsinki) to travel to Tikkurila (the closest station to Helsinki Airport). On arrival you will be transferred to Helsinki Airport for your departing international flight.
Please advise Renaissance Tours of your flight information as soon as possible.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
22 April 2019
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Australian and New Zealand passport holders do not require visas to visit Finland.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 4 star hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Category 1 tickets to the performances of Rigoletto and The Barber of Seville
- Transfers from Helsinki hotel to Helsinki Central Station and from Tikkurila Station to the airport according to tour dates
- Transfers to/from all performances
- Steamboat cruise on Saimaa Lake
- Train tickets between Helsinki and Savonlinna and return in Economy Extra Class
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Transfers on arrival and departure if not arriving or departing on tour dates
Savonlinna – Hotel Seurahuone**** OR Hotel Spa Casino ****
N.B. Hotels of a similar standard may be substituted.