Paris Through an Artist’s Eyes
Designed as a post-tour to Art, Music and Wine in the South of France
This tour is part of the World Art Tours program organised by the Art Gallery Society of NSW in partnership with Renaissance Tours.
In the morning, depart Lyon for Paris, stopping for lunch in Auxerre, one of the main cities of the Burgundy region.
Arrive in Paris in the afternoon and check in to the hotel. Enjoy an evening at leisure strolling the glowing streets of the ‘City of Light’.
Following a morning talk by Wendy and Bernard, visit the Musée d ‘Art Moderne standing between the Champs-Elysées and the Eiffel Tower. Comprising more than 13,000 artworks, the Museum is one of the largest collections of modern and contemporary art in France, and houses masterpieces dating from the early 20th century to the present, such as the first version of Danse by Matisse and the monumental La Fée Electricité (The Spirit of Electricity) by Raoul Dufy.
Continue your exploration of Paris by visiting another major Parisian museum.
This evening, enjoy dinner at a traditional Parisian brasserie.
This morning, head across the river to the Left Bank to enjoy a walking tour of the picturesque area of Saint Germain des Prés, associated with artists, writers and intellectuals. Begin with the 17th century Church of Saint Sulpice with its gnomon, a device used to determine the equinoxes as well as the exact solar time. Admire the walls of the Chapel of the Holy Angels, which feature two magnificent frescoes by Delacroix. Then, visit the Delacroix Museum, a small museum set in the last studio apartment of Eugène Delacroix.
After lunch, continue to the Fondation Louis Vuitton, designed by Frank Gehry and opened in late 2014. The foundation is a private cultural initiative whose aim is to promote and support contemporary artistic creation for a wide French and international audience.
Enjoy a walking tour through the charming streets of the Montmartre district. Dominated by the Basilica of Sacré Coeur, Montmartre sits on a hill to the north of Paris. Many artists had studios or worked in or around Montmartre, including Pablo Picasso, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Amedeo Modigliani, Claude Monet, Piet Mondrian, Camille Pissarro, Vincent van Gogh, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec and Salvador Dalí.
After time at leisure for lunch, visit the Musée de Montmartre, a historic house which was once home to famous artists such as Auguste Renoir and Suzanne Valadon and her son Maurice Utrillo. The museum’s gardens have been renovated according to Renoir’s paintings.
Continue to the apartment of Wendy and Bernard for a pre-dinner aperitif. This evening, celebrate the conclusion of the tour with a special farewell dinner at local restaurant.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast.
For those returning home today, make your way to Paris Airport for suggested flights to Australia or New Zealand on Qatar Airways via Doha. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements, including flights and any additional nights’ accommodation.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Australian and New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa to visit France.
Tour price includes
- Accommodation in a centrally located 4-star superior hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L=Lunch, D=Dinner), including wine
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Group transfer from Lyon to Paris if joining from the Art, Music and Wine in the South of France tour
- Lectures and talks with your tour leaders, Wendy Sharpe and Bernard Ollis
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- International airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Transfer from Lyon to Paris on arrival if not using group transfer
- Hotel/airport transfer on departure
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone calls, laundry, mini-bar, taxi etc.
- Airport porterage
- Travel insurance (a condition of travel; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Paris – Hilton Paris Opera****
NB. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted