Bolshoi Ballet in Brisbane
Be enthralled by the visit of the world’s premier ballet company, Russia’s Bolshoi Ballet, to Brisbane this June, where Grigorovich’s epic Spartacus and Balanchine’s beautiful Jewels will be performed.
Take advantage of among the best seats in the house at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre for Spartacus, considered the company’s signature ballet, and Balanchine’s three-act ballet Jewels, showcasing the Bolshoi Ballet’s dancing strength and versatility.
Enjoy a day out to the NSW Northern Rivers region for a visit to the vibrant Tweed Regional Gallery and the Margaret Olley Art Centre in Murwillumbah, which celebrates the career, life and legacy of Australia’s most celebrated painter of still life.
Arrive in Brisbane and make your own way to the hotel on Brisbane’s Southbank. In the afternoon, join Andrew and fellow travellers for a welcome briefing and pre-performance talk followed by a special welcome dinner.
After dinner, depart for the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, conveniently located within walking distance of the hotel and attend a performance by the Bolshoi Ballet of Spartacus, choregraphed by internationally-acclaimed Yuri Grigorovich. With its famous score by Khachaturian, this has long been considered the company’s signature ballet and gives full expression to the virility and strength for which Russian male dancers are renowned.
Today, travel south across the Queensland border to Murwillumbah to the Tweed Regional Gallery and Margaret Olley Art Centre. Enjoy a private guided tour of the gallery’s vibrant exhibition of established national and regional artists, including the Margaret Olley Art Centre, dedicated to Australia’s most famous painter of still life and interiors. Central to this is the re-creation of areas of Olley’s famous home studio, principally the Hat Factory and the Yellow Room.
After lunch, return to Brisbane in the late afternoon. The evening is at leisure.
This morning, enjoy a talk on today’s performance. Then, walk to the Queensland Performing Arts Centre and enjoy a performance by the Bolshoi Ballet of George Balanchine’s three-act ballet Jewels. Set to the music of Fauré, Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky, Jewels features three related movements, Emeralds, Rubies and Diamonds, and was inspired by the beauty of the gem stones Balanchine saw in the New York store of jewellers Van Cleef and Arpels.
After the performance, join Andrew and fellow travellers for a special farewell dinner.
Tour arrangements conclude after breakfast. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your travel arrangements, including any extra nights’ accommodation either before or after the tour.
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Final payment due
29 April 2019
Please see booking conditions for fitness level definitions.
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
Tour price includes
- Premium category tickets to Spartacus and Jewels performed by the Bolshoi Ballet at the Queensland Performing Arts Centre
- Accommodation in a conveniently located 4-star superior hotel with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wines
- Pre-performance talks by your tour leader, ballet expert Andrew Wright
- Comprehensive sightseeing including local guides and entrance fees as per itinerary
- Transportation throughout on comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for local guides and drivers
- Hotel porterage (one piece per person)
Tour price does not include
- Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Airport/hotel transfers on tour arrival and departure
- Airport porterage
- Items of a personal nature, including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (highly recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Rydges South Bank Brisbane ****
Conveniently located in the heart of Brisbane’s art and cultural precinct, and within easy walking distance of the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, the Rydges South Bank offers guests modern rooms with luxury furnishings and finishes, coupled with complimentary Wifi. Boasting an on-site award-winning restaurant Bacchus, the hotel also offers a casual dining café and poolside bar. The Queensland Art Gallery and the Gallery of Modern Art are also within walking distance of the hotel.
N.B. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted.