Join international Wagner expert Heath Lees for a fully-staged production of Wagner’s romantic masterpiece Lohengrin by Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie and Opera Australia at Arts Centre Melbourne.
To be conducted by Johannes Fritzsch and directed by Olivier Py, this dynamic production features acclaimed Wagnerian singers including British tenor David Butt Philip as Lohengrin and Daniel Sumegi as Heinrich. Rising star Jennifer Davis returns to the role of Elsa after her highly-praised performance during the Royal Opera House’s 2018 summer season.
Cap off your weekend in Melbourne with a private recital featuring a uniquely curated program by singers of the Melba Opera Trust.
Arrive in Melbourne and make your own way to the Langham Melbourne Hotel for check-in (available from 15:00.) Tour arrangements commence at 17:00 with a welcome briefing and talk by tour leader Heath Lees, before a special welcome dinner with Heath and fellow tour members.
This morning, attend a pre-performance lecture by Heath, held in partnership with the Richard Wagner Society of Victoria.
Enjoy lunch at leisure before attending the matinée performance of Wagner’s Lohengrin at Arts Centre Melbourne. After the performance enjoy dinner back at the hotel.
In the mid-morning transfer to one of Melbourne’s exclusive private members clubs to enjoy a recital by singers of the Melba Opera Trust, specially arranged for our tour, followed by lunch in the splendour of the magnificent banquet rooms of the original Victorian building. Established in the late 17th Century, the club continues its rich history by retaining traditions as one of Australia’s finest private members clubs.
Tour arrangements conclude with a transfer back to the hotel in the mid-afternoon for flights departing Melbourne from 17.00. Renaissance Tours or your travel agent can assist you with your flights and other travel arrangements, including any additional nights’ accommodation, either before or after the tour.
Pre and Post nights
Per room, twin/double share # AUD 375
Per room, single # AUD 350
# subject to availability
*Single travellers may request to share.
Please advise at time of booking.
Room category upgrade available on request; please enquire with us.
Final payment due
20 March 2020
Please see Terms & Conditions for fitness level definitions.
Qantas/Air New Zealand
Please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for current airfares and flight reservations.
New Zealand passport holders do not require a visa to visit Australia.
Tour price includes
- Premium category tickets for the Théâtre Royal de la Monnaie and Opera Australia’s production of Lohengrin
- Two nights’ accommodation at the 5-star deluxe Langham Melbourne hotel, with breakfast daily (B)
- Meals as per itinerary (L = Lunch, D = Dinner), including wine with meals
- Private opera recital with the Melba Opera Trust at one of Melbourne’s private member clubs
- Talks and discussions with your tour leader, Heath Lees
- Transportation in comfortable air-conditioned coaches
- Gratuities for drivers
Tour price does not include
- Airfares (please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
- Transfers on arrival and departure
- Airport and hotel porterage
- Items of a personal nature including telephone, laundry, taxis, minibar, room service etc.
- Travel insurance (highly recommended; please contact Renaissance Tours or your travel agent for assistance)
Melbourne – The Langham, Melbourne *****
Located on Southbank Promenade, this grand hotel features an extensive array of services and facilities including restaurant, bar and lounge, spa, a gymnasium and swimming pool. The rooms combine classic elegance with contemporary facilities. The Superior category rooms offer views of Southbank or the Bay, whilst Deluxe River rooms offer premium views of the city skyline and Yarra River. The hotel is a 5-minute walk from Arts Centre Melbourne.
N.B. A hotel of a similar standard may be substituted.